Sunday, January 13, 2013

clean out Saturday

photo via

I spent a good chunk of Saturday cleaning out, and while I don't have "before" photos and won't show you "after" photos (well, yet), it was crazy how much stuff came out of the guest room and my office. We're talking 6 trash bags of clothes, curtains, bedding, and a few other things that we had totally forgotten we even had.

For some reason we decided a while ago that the guest bedroom closet would serve as our storage closet for out-of-season clothes, extra bedding, and a variety of other items that probably should have never made their way in there. I'm a bit of a pack rat by nature, but T is amazing at reminding me what I can part with:  And once I get going, I have a hard time stopping!

If you're in the market to part with some tangibles, here are some closet clean out tips:

1. If you haven't worn it in a year, you're not going to. I've heard some people turn their hangers around at the beginning of the season and anything that isn't worn (visibly, because the hanger is still turned the wrong way) is donated or thrown out.

2. If you don't love it now, you never will. Why are you keeping that shirt you bought that is kind of an okay color but was a really great deal? I have had my share of "just in case" items- what if you need it for a Halloween costume? That, my friends, is why there is a goodwill and why it is so busy the week of Halloween. You're never going to love it, so just get rid of it.

3. If it hasn't fit you in 6 months or more, it probably won't fit you again. I have hung onto quite a few pairs of jeans because they used to look great on me. Key words: used to. Probably won't ever again, because my body has just changed. Unless you have recently gone through an illness or a pregnancy or are on track to lose (or gain) weight to get back to your previous self, forget that you might someday possibly fit into those clothes again.

4. Remember- there probably is someone who needs it more than you do. So you haven't worn it in over a year, you don't really love it, and it doesn't really fit you anyway. Good news, there's someone out there who would probably love it, would fit in it, and would wear it. Donate it! Trust me, you'll feel so much better after you do.

Not sure where to send all of the stuff you don't need? There are quite a few organizations that will pick up your donation, including the Vietnam Veterans of America and Epilepsy Foundation (New England area). You can also do a Google search to find local donation boxes for Planet Aid, or drop off at your local Salvation Army.

1 comment:

  1. Great tips! I am planning a clean out of my own very soon so these will come in handy.

    Thanks!

    Deana
    TesoriBelle.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...