Thursday, September 6, 2012

remembering 2 blonde beauties

image via

This afternoon I got a text message from my aunt telling me that my grandmother's best friend passed away early this morning. It had me feeling a bit more emotional than I expected, which I'm guessing is because I still miss my grandmother more than most people know.

I was very lucky to have my grandparents as my primary babysitters growing up. My sisters and I, their only grandchildren, became pretty close to them. Nana and Daiee (as in "daddy" without the Ds in the middle), as we called them, were the ultimate grandparents. I'll always remember childhood Sunday dinners, when Nana would put ridiculous amounts of food on the table and Daiee would eat equally ridiculous amounts.

Nana and Wuzzy, as we knew her (a shortening of her really long, Polish last name), were hairstylists together in the years after the war (WWII, that is) in the beauty shop my Nana owned. Both stayed blonde well into their 80s and stayed close, living just down the street from each other and checking in on each other often once their husbands had passed.

It's a funny thing, getting older:  How people who were so central to your life suddenly disappear. So here's your friendly reminder to reach out to those around you and make sure they know how you feel about them. There's no harm in putting a smile on someone's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...