Monday, March 11, 2013

reality TV + why we care

Normally, I leave my guilty pleasure shows where they belong - on the DVR until I am at home by myself and can watch them in peace without color commentary from T. Tonight, though, I am wondering (and, obviously, sharing with you):  Why do we get so invested in the lives of these women we have never met?

Spoiler alert...

Bachelor, Bachelor Season 17, Sean
image via

If you look on Twitter, there is tweet after tweet of #TeamLindsay or #TeamCatherine, ladies calling Sean an idiot for his choice, and speculating if Lindsay will be the next Bachelorette. 

But why do we care?

It's the same for every reality show I watch:  Week after week I peek into their lives for just an hour of television time, forming an opinion of who they are and what they should do or not do. I talk to my friends as if I know these people. Sometimes I even yell at the TV.

On some level you relate to those you watch. Why else would you care? Whether you are like them or want to be like them, if they remind you of people you know or would rather not know, you feel some connection to who they are for that hour every week.

And that, my friends, is why I am so annoyed at the TV right now. Do you get upset at your favorite shows?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...